Monday, December 21, 2015

december reads

Well, the last time I did one of these was in February! I am very overdue. So far this year I've read 36 books, so I won't review the majority of those, but here's what I read from November until now:

Why Not Me? by Mindy Kaling / I really wish Mindy Kaling and I could be friends. I enjoyed this one and her first book, Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? a lot. It's a quick read, and if you're a fan of Mindy, then it's a must read, as well.

The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith / Of course, we all know now that Robert Galbraith is really J.K. Rowling, but I try to read the Cormoran Strike series with an unbiased mind. This one wasn't as good as the first one, but it was entertaining. It was definitely a lot creepier, and while I figured out who the murderer was fairly quickly, I kept reading to figure out exactly how they did it. Looking forward to reading the next in the series.

Luckiest Girl Alive by Jessica Knoll / This was one of those books that everyone kept raving about, and while it was entertaining, it wasn't the greatest. It seemed very cliche and over the top. I can always tell if a book is a little too soap opera-ey if when I'm describing the events to Matt it sounds ridiculous. This one was filled with every imaginable teen drama. Plus I could not STAND the main character, and I would like to personally berate any reviewer who compares TifAni (ugh, that name) to Amy Dunne in Gone Girl. Just...no.

After You by Jojo Moyes / When I found out there was a sequel to Me Before You, I was very excited. I liked getting back into the world of Louisa, but I don't think the author should have written a sequel. The first book stands well on its own, but if you've read Me Before You, then you have to read this one.

The Beautiful Bureaucrat by Helen Phillips / This book appeared on a to-read list of 2015, and when I read the synopsis, it sounded pretty interesting and I love dystopian novels, so I decided to give it a read. I was surprised at how short the book was, and felt like it could have been a little longer, to flesh out the characters a bit. That said, I don't know if I could have handled it being longer - it almost seemed like a really bad fever dream, or an episode of The Twilight Zone. I figured out pretty quickly what exactly Josephine's job was, but there is a twist that I didn't see coming. It's very Kafka-esque, so if you like his books then I think you'll love this (I'm just "meh" when it comes to Kafka). If you want a really good dystopian novel, read The Handmaid's Tale. Now.

The Bean Trees by Barbara Kingsolver / I am a very big fan of Barbara Kingsolver. I've read almost all of her books, and The Poisonwood Bible is one of my all-time favorites. This one was a good read, and I also thought it was still pretty topical, even though it was written almost 10 years ago.

Cinder by Marissa Meyer / This is part one of the Lunar Chronicles series, and I picked it up on the recommendation of a friend. I can't believe it's been flying under my radar for so long. It's a fairy tale retelling turned on its head, which for me is like candy. I went through a stage in high school where I read every fairy tale retelling I could find. (My favorite? Daughter of the Forest. SO GOOD.) It's YA, yes, but it's so entertaining.

Scarlet by Marissa Meyer / Part two for me wasn't as entertaining, mainly because I just don't care for Scarlet or Wolf all that much. But, instead of each book focusing just on the main title character, Cinder from the first book is still featured prominently in this one, which I enjoyed.

Cress by Marissa Meyer / I think this one is the longest of the three, so it took me awhile to get into it. The action sequences are fast-paced and fun to read, but it being YA, it's very predictable. This series is great when you need a break from "heavier" reading. 

Fairest and The Age of Miracles are up next. What are you reading?

P.S. You can see all of my past reads here.

No comments:

Post a Comment