Friday, February 27, 2015

february reads

I haven’t done one of these in a while (the last one was back in October), so here we go! 
The Vacationers by Emma Straub / This is very much a summer read, so if you are escaping the cold winter and relaxing on a beach somewhere, I suggest you bring this along. The characters are somewhat annoying, but that’s the point.
Unbroken: A World II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand / This book was just...wow. It’s an incredible (true!) story that is very inspiring and emotional. I haven’t seen the movie, but I can bet that the book is WAY better.
Sisterhood Everlasting by Ann Brashares / The final installment of the “Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants” books. I’ve been reading these books since I was in high school, and it was time that I finish the series. This one was super sad and very heart wrenching.
Astonish Me by Maggie Shipstead / Confession time: when I was a little girl, I wanted nothing more than to be a ballerina, mainly because of the shoes (I guess I’ve always had a thing for shoes). An entertaining story about a dancer, with a slight twist at the end.
We Were Liars by E. Lockhart / This book kept coming across lists as a to-read book of the year, and while it was a quick read and entertaining, I didn’t think it was OMG AMAZING, you know?
The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd / I really enjoyed this one. I like historical fiction, especially when it is loosely based on real person’s life, and so I pretty much breezed through this. It is an Oprah book club pick, which comes with all the stigma attached to that, but she honestly picks some really good reads!
A Constellation of Vital Phenomena by Anthony Marra / This was another one that kept getting rave reviews, but I had a hard time getting through it. The storyline is almost too bleak. It’s one of those stories where everything is connected, though, which redeemed it a bit for me.
Me Before You by Jojo Moyes / So many tears. I highly recommend it – it would be a good one to read in a book club, especially with the topic it addresses.
Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald by Therese Anne Fowler / I thought it would breeze through this one, but I had a hard time getting into it. I love learning about the lives of past authors, but for some reason I just couldn’t get excited about this book. I don’t know where the disconnect was.
What are you reading?

No comments:

Post a Comment