Wednesday, November 26, 2014

found a florist

I think out of all the vendors, finding a florist was one of the harder decisions. I didn't really have an idea in mind of what I wanted. I don’t have a green thumb (quite the opposite, actually), and all flowers look gorgeous to me, but there was one that I wanted, and always have wanted – peonies.

I was very clueless at how much wedding flowers actually cost, and so decided to look at a few different florists to get a range over what is considered acceptable for wedding flowers.

On a side note: isn’t it crazy how planning a wedding can make a significant sum of money seem insubstantial? Like in what universe but in wedding world does the thought, “Oh, it’s only $1,500? That’s not bad,” ever seem normal?

Since there seem like an infinite number of florists in the Raleigh area, I decided to narrow my search based on reviews, recommendations, and my own personal style. Just like with every other vendor, I learned quickly that I did indeed had a preference, and the arrangements that were less uniform and more like how flowers grow in nature was what I was drawn to. You can see some examples of what I mean here and here.

I focused in on three florists: Fresh Affairs (given top reviews), Expressions of Love (a recommendation), and Eclectic Sage. I met the owner of Eclectic Sage, Heather Ann Miller, at a bridal show.

I decided to go with Eclectic Sage for a few different reasons:
  • She seemed more willing to work to create beautiful florals within my budget
  • Her vision for my wedding aligned with mine
  • Her previous work matched my style
I found that more so with any other vendor, my parents and I worked with arranging my vision for the flowers with the budget. You can go crazy with flowers, so I think it is important to have a set budget in mind when it comes to a florist. It seems that working within a budget is more feasible with florists than with other vendors – there are many ways that you can substitute, add less, tweak styles, etc., than you can with, say, a DJ. This was crucial, as I discovered that peonies, the flowers that I wanted the most, are super expensive, even in season, which at the end of May they were.



Because of this, we decided to let the true focus of the wedding flowers be my bouquet, with big peonies in varying shades of pink. The bridesmaids will carry white bouquets made up of mostly roses, hydrangeas, and greenery, which will look nice with the dresses. Kasey, the Maid of Honor, will carry a smaller version of my bouquet, with white flowers to match the bridesmaids, but also to offset her from the other bridesmaids. The groomsmen will match the bridesmaids, with Matt matching myself.


For the centerpieces, since the linens are so soft (more on that in a later post), we decided to go with pink and white roses, hydrangeas, and greenery to brighten up the tables. The centerpiece for the sweetheart table will be my bouquet. I love the look of mercury glass, and I was able to find gold vessels in a compote bowl style and also as a square vase, to give some differing looks to the table. I didn't want to go with anything too high so that people could still talk to each other across the table. I don’t like the trumpet vase look, so that was nixed quickly.

We decided not to get flowers for the ceremony. The venue is gorgeous enough as it is!

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Choosing the florist may sound simple but as you explained it can be overwhelming due to so many styles, prices and options. I'm glad you're a step closer to the most awaited day.
    I love the choice you made for your bouquet and the your bridesmaids. Really excited to read more about the wedding planning progress :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stephanie! Sorry for the late response, but thank you for your kind words!

    ReplyDelete