Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Wedding Wednesdays: Congratulations, You're Engaged! Now What?

Since I’m getting married in May (!!), I thought it would be fun to write about the wedding planning process, for any new brides out there who are looking for guidance or advice. I figured I would start at the beginning – the engagement. After I got engaged last December, my mind was spinning with things that needed to be done.



Celebrate!
Don’t forget to celebrate! Since I got engaged the first day of my vacation in Disney World, Matt and I agreed that we would enjoy the week that we had and not start diving right into wedding details. Tell your friends and family, enjoy the special attention, and pop open that bubbly!

Get your ring sized and insured
Since I don’t wear really any jewelry at all, Matt had to guess at my ring size, and was off by a few sizes, though it did still fit (loosely). It will be hard to be parted from your ring for a few days or up to a week, but it will give you piece of mind that you can wear it in the shower and not worry about it going down the drain!

Talk to your insurance agent and get your ring insured in case of theft or loss. They will need to see the appraisal, so be sure to have all the proper paperwork so everything goes smoothly.

Start talking about a wedding date
You don’t have to decide the next day when and where you are getting married, but it is a good idea to start thinking about when you would like to get married. Matt and I both knew right away that we didn’t want to get married in the winter (too cold) or in the summer (too hot – North Carolina summers are brutal!). Narrow things down first by seasons and then go from there.

Create a wedding Pinterest board
If you don’t use Pinterest, it can be a great tool for planning a wedding. Unlike most girls, I didn’t have a Pinterest board set up of my “dream wedding,” so I had fun (and still do) pinning ideas for the big day. Your board will also help you determine any recurring themes or ideas that you are naturally drawn to, which will help with planning later on.


The most important thing to remember is to enjoy your engagement, especially the beginning! There will be time to start delving into the nitty gritty wedding details! And congratulations!

No comments:

Post a Comment